WB Project: Preparation of Environmental and Social Safeguard Documents for the Project P146328 "Construction of the Electrified Railway Line Angren-Pap"
SJSRC "Uzbekiston Temir Yullari" / the World Bank
2014 - 2015
Uzbekistan was applying for a Loan from the World Bank to cover part of expenses related to the supply and installation of rail electrification, signaling,
track maintenance and closed-circuit television within the project "Construction of the electrified railway line Pap-Angren".
JSC "Uzbekiston Temir Yullari" intended to use part of the ECAPDEV Grant to finance consulting services for preparation of mandatory documents related
to environmental and social safeguards policies of the World Bank. Al Mar Consulting carried out a detailed assessment of social and ecological aspects
of the project, preparing and coordinating with the World Bank final project documentation on safeguards in order to minimize negative impact and design
mitigation measures on local population, environment of the project area, and on physical cultural resources.
Description of actual services provided in the assignment
- Finalize the safeguards documents (Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF), Environment and Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs)) as requested by the World Bank
social and environment safeguards requirements;
- Help carrying out public consultations and disclosure of RPF, and RAPs according to the requirements of the World Bank guidelines, including registration
and coordination of protocols of meetings, public hearings etc. The documents were accordingly revised and re-disclosed;
- Provide assistance to JSC "Uzbekiston Temir Yullari" to prepare a socially inclusive grievance redress mechanism (GRM) as part of the implementation of
RAP/RPF. The GRM should be designed specifically for the feedback, complaints handling and resolution during land acquisition process;
- Review the existing grievance redress mechanism and provide recommendations for its improvement;
- Assist JSC "Uzbekiston Temir Yullari" in addressing inquiries and complaints on the on-going resettlement;
- Coordinate with local authorities, ministries and other relevant parties the necessary actions to be taken to ensure compliance with social and environmental