LOAN-2492-UZB/2493-UZB: Water Resources Management Sector Project for Ferghana and Zarafshan Valleys - Social and Agro-Economic Assessment
Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources of Uzbekistan / Asian Development Bank
The objective of the consulting services is to assess the overall social and agro-economic impacts of the Project
Description of actual services provided in the assignment
1. Review of the current status and data requirements for the social & agro-economic impact assessment of the Project.
- Review the Design and Monitoring Framework (DMF) and other initial Project’s documents;
- Define the approach and methods for data collection, processing and analysis to assess the social & agro-economic impacts of the Project;
- Define terms and concepts to be used for the conduct of Social & Agro-economic Impact Assessment;
- Identify control factors which may impact on the social & agroeconomic situation in the Project target area;
- Define Approach/Methods and Activity/Time Schedule for undertaking secondary data collection and field survey (household/farm survey) for impact assessment.
2. Collection and analysis of secondary data for Social & Agro-economic impact assessment
- Identify relevant sources of secondary data;
- Collect and analyse secondary data on social & agro-economic factors from available documents, statistical records and other sources;
- Establish necessary database recording, processing and analysis of secondary data;
- Conduct of Focus Group Discussions (FGD) with WUA members (total 15 FGDs);
- Identify other categories of Project beneficiaries in the Provinces and conduct FGDs, in order to confirm social-economic situation and Project performance
with community members that are not WUAs;
- Develop and apply suitable methods and tools to process and analyse secondary data to allow comparison between different time periods and between Project
intervention and Control factors to show impacts of the Project;
- Carry out analyse of secondary data collected and interpret results.
3. Conduct household / farm survey
- Conduct a full-scale field survey to collect social & agro-economic data from primary sources (household / farms) taking into account the results of the
secondary data collection work;
- Field survey included in-depths interviews (total 600 interviews) with befeniciaries and stakeholders and interviews with households and farmers. The
sample size was relevant to reflect the representativeness of populations size, with statistically proven selection criteria;
- Establish appropriate statistical system (SPSS or equivalent) for processing of field survey data;
- Undertake simple cross-tabulations to show inter-relations between Project intervention factors and observed changes of key social & agro-economic indicators;
- Carry out analysis of field survey data collected and interpret results.
Prepare a Final Social & Agro-economic Impact Assessment Report presenting the results of the field survey for submission to the PMO / Project Consultant.