PROJECT TITLE: Loan #: 2772-UZB; Second CAREC Corridor 2 ROAD INVESTMENT PROGRAM – PROJECT 3, Bukhara-Gazli km 228 -315 – Social Due Diligence
CLIENT: SAMBO Engineering Co., Ltd / Asian Development Bank (ADB)
The Republic of Uzbekistan has applied for a Loan under theproposed CAREC Corridor 2 Road Investment Program II from the Asian Development Bank(ADB). Part of the loan proceeds, was applied to payments for the civil works contract (onePackage) for Reconstruction of about 87 km of A380 highway in Bukhara provinces.
SAMBO Engineering Co., Ltdwas responsible for the design review, construction supervision,and safeguards compliance for the civil works and hired Al Mar Consulting for due diligence work(Land Acquisition & Resettlement Plan, Environment Impact Assessment, Gender Action Plan and Poverty Social Assessment).
DESCRIPTION OF ACTUAL SERVICES PROVIDED IN THE ASSIGNMENT
Specifically, Al Mar Consulting carried out the following tasks:
- Reflect the results of the above and update the povertyand social assessment (PSA) prepared under the previous tranches.
- The updated PSA included the socioeconomic and poverty status of theprojectareas of influence, including the nature, extent, and determinants ofpoverty in these areas; identify and estimate the likely socioeconomic andpoverty reduction impacts of the project; and prepare proposals for monitoringand evaluating the benefits and impacts before and after implementing theprojects under the investment program. Prepare a consultation andparticipation plan.
- Conduct social survey and consultations with the main stakeholders to identify gender issues in the project area.
- Assess quantitatively the poverty impact of the Project.
- Define the project influence area as the basis for the analysis and outline themechanisms through which the Project helps reduce poverty.
- To obtain information about the socio-economic characteristics of households in the sub-project areas, including data on poverty and employment indicators, sources of income and composition of expenditures, family size and structure, quality of life indicators, including access to road and basic social infrastructure establishments, use of transport and the impact of access to the improved road of the resident population;
- Data collection (specific socio-economic features of the sub-project area; the presence of ethnic minorities within the sub-project area; gender specific features and issues relating to the access to road and transport services; possible socio-economic benefits of the sub-project, primarily for vulnerable groups of the population; and so on)
- Analyze of all indicators (gender of the head of household;ethnic identity of the head of household;type of housing;size of the household;poor/non-poor households;income and expenditures;access to social infrastructure establishment; and so on)
- Sampling design (conduction of social infrastructure establishments)